Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Muslim Summer camp

Asalaamu Alaikum,
Big A started summer camp at one of the local Islamic schools in the area. NH was conserned about the change in environment. Now Big A goes to public school and she's in a montessori program. Even though her teacher is muslim her environment isn't. I choose montessori for her because I wanted to have that educational foundation first. There are pos and cons to public school education but this is the choice we made.

So this year with her being 5 we all (grandma V included) thought it best that Big A needed to NOT stay home all day. I felt that camp at one of the local masjids would help get her adjusted to the islamic environment, considering the fact that she will be going to islamic school for first grade.


So her fist day came. Hair done. Modest clothing picked out (I do not believe in putting young children in jilbab and hijabs on a daily because childhood is so short). Lunch packed. Hijab and jilbab for prayer. Deposit paid. Ready to go.

Her teacher turned out to be a sister that had previously watched the kids of a friend of mine. She's really sweet and great with the kids. Insha~allah she'll have a great camp experience.
No preasure of course.

Ma salaama
Umm Amirah

1 comments:

Hijabi Apprentice said...

Wow! That sounds like an awesome opportunity for Big A. I wish we could find a program like that for the step kiddos.

ITA with the hijab-ed and jilbab-ed out kids! Dude puberty comes quickly enough let the kids be kids; you know modest kids but still.

ma'a salaamah,

ha