Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bags, bags, everywhere!!


ASA--

As most know, I work in DC and I've noticed that everyone has a bag!! Whether it's a purse, book bag, knapsack, lunch bag, duffel bag, MAN bag (snicker), laptop bag or environmentally safe bag, whatever...everyone carries one. Sometimes TWO. Is this the kind of culture we've become, the BAG culture. Everyone MUST carry something. For your notes, your checkbook, your wallet, your change, your music, your computer, your lunch..it must and needs a bag.

I am a bag collector. I have bags from conferences, work, school, novelty, grocery store plastic, grocery store paper, grocery store re-usable, diaper bag, toddler tote, the list could keep going. My NH hates when a new bag enters the door. I'm sure he immediately wants to throw it in the garbage, where it rightly belongs. But he cannot talk since he carries what he calls a book bag. In fact his bag is NOT a book bag but a MAN bag. A book bag suggests that one carried BOOKS in it. NH's bag contains checkbook, papers, pens, important envelopes, bills....a MAN bag. A man bag does the same thing a purse does for a women but it's not CLUTCHED close to the body. It can't because ..it's a man bag!! LOL

Back to my point. What's the obsession with bags? To me they just seem like more burdens to bare. I mean some people carry NOTHING in their bag. They just carry the bag!! Pointless, but it could be a habit. Who knows. I try to NOT carry as many bags as I do on a daily basis. Diaper bag, purse, messenger bag, toys, cups, juice boxes, lunch bag.

Personally I just want to UNLOAD.

Ma Salaam
Ummie A

2 comments:

muslimahlocs said...

have you seen the bourne ultimatum? i saw it and remember noticing that the lead character rarely carried any type of bag or luggage. the absence of baggage was so noticeable that i wondered how one could exist without a bag of some kind. it would not be possible for me to do so at this stage in my life. the good news is that it helps build good biceps!

Umm Amirah said...

ASA- NO i have NOT seen it. I want to though. But your right...as I walk to work..people who carry NOTHING look so out of place. Like they are UP to something..lol. I think some people carry bags even if they have NOTHING to put in them. LOL