Asalaamu Alaikum,
So as you know I've flown a couple of times since NH went to the peach state. I've never had any problems as far as flying and security checks. The ONLY place I have an issue is in FLORIDA!!!
What the HELL? Do Floridian TSA have a mandate to 'pat down muslimah'. The last time I came thru FLORIDA the TSA lady asked if she could 'pat down' my hijab. Then because I had a long skirt on she patted down my skirt. Now as I was going thru the security gate there were a BUTT load of Hasidic Jews. Did they ask to feel their wigs? NO
I just want equality in the pat down...that's all!!!
I guess that's the cost for 'Flying While Muslim'.
Ma salaama
Umm Amirah
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Ummie RANT
From the heart of Umm Amirah at 10:00 PM
Labels: muslimah, pissed off, reflextion
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
been there. experienced that.
Boo to the pat down!!! Do they think hijabis really think: Hmm I'm flying tomorrow where is the one place I can hide contraband inconspicuously??? I know!! Under the scarf!!!
I mean really!!
Last year I went to visit my parents in Memphis. I left from Hartford. I was wearing a headwrap (thinking if I had a more hijab looking hijab, I'd get harrassed). No big deal. I went through security without a hitch, even with a 2 year old in tow. On leaving, Memphis I was instructed to take my scarf off completely, and that I could go somewhere in private to do it if I chose. I had just started wearing hijab, had a grumpy 2 year old with me, and was already embarrassed that they wanted to search my head, so I unwrapped the scarf right there. I have really long dreadlocks and they had me take down my bun as well, lest I be hiding something in my hair. Apparently the bun was too big to be real. I was told that this was a new rule: having anyone wearing a scarf, turban, or wrap remove it to make sure there was nothing that shouldn't be there.
So I'm wondering, is it policy to pat down, or is it at the discretion of the security person to have one remove the scarf altogether? Did the less hijab looking hijab idea backfire on me? Are strip searches going to be routine next?
Has anyone else been asked to remove her scarf instead of being pat down? I don't know which is worse.
Post a Comment