Asalaamu Alaikum,
I pray you all are well and in the best of Eman and health.
When ever I go over what I WANT to blog about in my head it never seems to make it to my blog..so today I decided to just sit down and write. So here it goes...
So a fellow blogger had expressed some feelings she had about being Muslim in America..or where she lived..lets be specific. I do not want to down play her concerns or reactions to the bigotry and pure ignorance out there, but I do want to give some in site on where I live. I live in the 'D/M/V'--the DC metropolitan area. I live in MD and work DC (actually right next to Mr. Obama's new home..love to say that by the way).
Now I've been Muslim for about 7 and a half years now. At first Islam was something new..and something I wanted to perfect. Didn't take long for me to realize that I couldn't 'perfect' something that was already perfect. All I could do was learn how to better apply it to my life. So I donned my hijab and set off to be me in this city. I worked at a University at the time of my conversion so...the change wasn't taken as a shock. University campuses have opened many a mind to new and different things. After a year, almost 2, I left there and had to learn to maneuver the BIG D.C. picture..which was that the post 9/11 world was not Muslimah friendly.
So..I press on. Irregardless to the number of resumes I send out with my new married name (which is Arabic, as apposed to my maiden name). I worked for a while for one good temp agency. They kept me busy. It was thru the temp agency that I came to work where I work now...near Mr. Obama's future residence.
While working in the city..I find it a benefit to B Muslim and a hijabi. I get great hook ups at hot dog stands..cuz most of them are Muslim: Egyptian, Afghan, Syrian...ect. I have had a couple of free, if not discounted cab rides; 'fi sabilillah sister' -- I'll take that!!. And have gotten discounts in some bag stores in Georgetown, 'for u because you're Muslim..you get THIS price'...MASHA~ALLAH brother!!
So there are BRIGHT SIDES to being a 'Hijabi Muslimah in the City'. I mean this world ain't perfect..but as Muslims we should have faith in our RABB that all things happen for a reason. Its the acceptance of the QADAR of ALLAH(swt). I know it's hard..and things can look bleak..but it's our duty to be the BEST example for man as our dear beloved Prophet (saws) was.
Insha~allah this will life some spirits..and help us all understand that 'this life is a test' to see who is 'best in faith'. And remember that our tests are never as bad as those of the 1st Muslims in MECCA 14 hundred years ago..YA RABBI.
ma salaama
Ummie A
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Hijabi Muslimah in the City
From the heart of Umm Amirah at 2:25 PM
Labels: hijabi, muslimah, reflextion, ummah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
asa
dmv is very different from many places. you are spolied, sister. the kind of love that you recieve is hard, if not impossible, to find in many places. i could name them but i am sure that you know.
Post a Comment