
Asalaamu Alaiakum,
Today is Election day in the states. I pray that today you have voted. I care not to know WHO you voted for, just that you did indeed exercise that right to vote. Why? you ask? Because that right is wrapped in the blood, sweat and tears of many. It is wrapped in the chains of bondage and disenfranchisement. It is wrapped in the blood and debris from church bombings, nestled with the bows of little girls in front rows.
Although my wait was not long..I stood proud and patiently because I too sing America. I have since the day I was born. But the difference is...that TODAY I feel completely American...wrapped in my brown skin and black and white hijab.
I pray you have sung it too.
Ma Salaama
Ummie A
Tuesday, November 04, 2008
I 2 Sing America
From the heart of Umm Amirah at 3:49 PM
Labels: earthling, muslimah, reflextion, ummah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Asalaamu Alaikum Sis! What a striking photo!
Alhamdulillah for the ability to vote and define who we are as Americans.
Alhamdulillah Obama won!
asa
don't try to be all pc. you know you want folks to vote for obama. and we did, alhamdulillah!
Post a Comment