Asalaam alaikum,
You know my paternal grandmother use to keep me during the summers as a child. She let me do whatever. I use to have cook outs in her carport and always neighborhood kids over to play. She gave me the world all wrapped in one summer. One thing that my grandmother also taught me was how to be souther, classy, and have style. There was always a right way and a southern way to do things. I guess some would say 'gen-tile' way. One of my grandmother's treasures was her china and silver collection.
You know my paternal grandmother use to keep me during the summers as a child. She let me do whatever. I use to have cook outs in her carport and always neighborhood kids over to play. She gave me the world all wrapped in one summer. One thing that my grandmother also taught me was how to be souther, classy, and have style. There was always a right way and a southern way to do things. I guess some would say 'gen-tile' way. One of my grandmother's treasures was her china and silver collection.
Over the years my grandmother had aquired a set of china dishes for special occasions: Easter/Thanksgiving and Christmas. Well as you can imagine the Christmas dishes had tree's on them, the other set was just FINE china. She also had an ancient silver collection. Why ancient..cuz she'd had it forever and she was in her 50's when i was in my pre teen age.
Anywhoo...I treasured these little things. Her letting me hand wash the china and take it out to admire it. Actually polishing the silver with silver polish and a cloth. I guess I treated them so well because she always said that these items would be mine one day. One day I would set MY holiday tables with these little treasures.
When I got married I made it a personal POINT to put china on my gift registry. Never mind that I was now muslim and my father in law thought that it was a 'bad itea' to create a registry in the first place-- I had southern upbringing. A gift registry was the right and correct thing to do.
Today I pulled out the 5 Wedgwood place settings and Gorham silver flatware setting that I recieved as gifts 5 years ago. As I fingered the detail and fineness (is THAT a word!) of the making it brought my childhood summer in Durham, NC back to me. Finery, Class, southern hospitality..all things my grandmother taught me. I thank Allah(swt) for her.
Ma salaama
Umm Amirah


3 comments:
This post reminded me of my own Grandmother in Texas. Same thing, only a little more dust blowin' in. ;)
Good,
I thought I was the only one that was so excited about getting china for my wedding. I choose a real simple design from Lenox with two platnium bands running around. Maybe we can have a tea party one day and use all of our "good stuff."
By the way, happy belated wedding anniversary.
Yeah girl...I luv my china. It was hard to find something withOUT a GOLD trim..that's why I went for the SEVILLE you see in the pic. It's classy and silver. YEAH we'll have to get that together..once I get the TEA POT..lol
Post a Comment